Disney Store has opened the doors of its flagship store in the popular Lujiazui area of Pudong, Shanghai, China. The landmark store is the largest retail space of any Disney Store in the world featuring 5000 square metres of immersive shopping experiences and innovative products, while also featuring an outdoor plaza.
“We couldn’t be more delighted to open our first Disney Store in China, in Shanghai,” said Mr. Paul Candland, President The Walt Disney Company, Asia-Pacific region. “Disney Store plays a critical role in how millions around the world experience our brand and allows kids, young adults and families to have a uniquely fun and immersive experience while shopping for their favourite Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars products,” he added.
In a momentous week for The Walt Disney Company in China, the opening of the Disney Store in Shanghai comes one day after the topping of the Enchanted Storybook Castle at Shanghai Disney Resort, which is due to open next year. “We want to thank the people of Shanghai for welcoming us to the city and could think of no better way than to open the store,” said Mr. Candland.
With an estimated 40 million tourists visiting the Lujiazui area each year, the Disney Store, with its unique product range and entertaining, immersive and innovative design elements, is set to become a world-class destination and meeting point among locals contributing to Shanghai’s reputation as a family, business, cultural, entertainment and tourism destination.
“We welcome the first Disney Store in China to Shanghai’s Pudong District and are excited about the unique role it will play to bring a new energy to Lujiazui. The Disney store is a stunning new landmark of retail, tourism and culture in China,” said Mr. Jian Danian, Deputy Governor of Pudong government.
The interior of the Shanghai Store was designed using Disney’s award-winning, innovative format, featuring elements unique to the area that will surprise and delight guests and bring to life the most popular characters from across Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars.
The store has numerous design features unique to Shanghai which include:
- A Disney Magic Kingdom Castle, measuring 19 feet high (5.855m) at the heart of the store, featuring an hourly musical and projection show
- A one-of-a-kind Marvel area complete with hand-sculpted statues of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and an eight-foot-tall Hulk
- A character balloon area with one-of-a kind sculpted hot-air balloons featuring Disney characters including Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Daisy, Donald, Pluto, and Chip and Dale
- Unique Mickey Mouse-shaped roof sculpted with over 8,000 LED lights visible from key tourism vantage points such as the Pearl Tower
- A landscaped plaza
Key features of the Disney Store Shanghai include:
- Disney characters hidden in the 12ft tree landscape
- A Disney Portal Gateway area features an impressive gateway inspired by Pixar’s Monster’s University and featuring all the latest in Disney entertainment
- A crystal chandelier in the young-adult-female area where Tinker Bell can be found sprinkling her Pixie Dust
- A Magical Mirror which entertains guests who stand in front of the mirror
To mark the opening of its first Store in the country, The Walt Disney Company in China has announced a US$100,000 charitable donation to the Shanghai Charity Foundation (Pudong Chapter) to support programmes that benefit children and families in the Pudong District, where the store is located.
“Disney is proud to support our local community and do what we can to help bring happiness and magic to kids and families in need,” said Mr. Stanley Cheung, Chairman of The Walt Disney Company in China.